Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

April 2
Springfield bishop apologizes

March 19
Priests named to guide church

March 10
New bishops for two dioceses

February 24
Sniezyk clarifies his remarks

February 23
Prelate: Harm unrecognized

January 15, 2004
O'Malley vows to help victims

January 11, 2004
Study faults Melkite church

January 7, 2004
Audit finds safeguards working
Boston's inquiry presses on
Agents faced reluctant aides

January 6, 2004
Church could defrock priests

November 30
Morrisey reflects on scandal

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

NOvember 13
Bishops affirm sex teachings

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Boston Archdiocese to cut aid to city schools, parishes

By Stephen Kurkjian and Sacha Pfeiffer, Globe Staff, 6/28/2002

The Archdiocese of Boston yesterday made public some of the details of its previously announced plan to cut its central operating budget by a third over the next year, saying that it was reducing funds to city schools and parishes by 15 percent and terminating the jobs of 13 lay employees.

Chancellor David Smith, the archdiocese's chief financial officer, stressed that no programs in city parishes and schools would be eliminated or even reduced under the new budget. The reduction in contributions to the city schools and parishes would be accommodated by consolidating how the parishes deliver their services.

''There is no reduction in the ministry in these parishes. No schools are being closed,'' Smith said at a press conference.

However, the Rev. Christopher Coyne, the church's spokesman, said the cuts would have an impact.

''You can focus on that and say that the budget cuts and reductions in finances will only hurt the most vulnerable,'' Coyne said, but emphasized that the personnel layoffs show ''how it's going to hurt right across the board. ... It's not just one particular part of our mission.''

Smith said the archdiocese had been planning since last fall to reduce its spending by a third over the next two fiscal years. However, as contributions from parishioners continued to slow down in recent months it was decided to accelerate those cuts, amounting to about $8 million, and make them over the next fiscal year, which begins July 1.

Meanwhile, state Representative Martin J. Walsh, a Dorchester Democrat, and state Senator Robert E. Travaglini, Democrat of East Boston, filed a bill that would eliminate the statute of limitations for prosecuting the crime of rape and attempted rape.

The proposed legislation was prompted by the large number of clergy sex abuse allegations involving incidents too old to be prosecuted.

This story ran on page A12 of the Boston Globe on 6/28/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Boston Globe Electronic Publishing LLC.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy