Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Law's deposition is ordered resumed

By Kathleen Burge, Globe Staff, 7/11/2002

Despite a voluntary month-long truce to explore a possible financial settlement between the Archdiocese of Boston and more than 200 alleged victims of sexual abuse by priests, a judge yesterday ordered lawyers to push forward on lawsuits filed by a number of people who say they were abused by retired priest Paul R. Shanley.

Superior Court Judge Constance M. Sweeney ordered lawyers for the alleged victims to resume the deposition of Cardinal Bernard F. Law within two weeks, and to continue every day until they are finished.

The truce, which had been called by lawyers for the church and the victims, will expire next Wednesday. Although the talks have been fruitful, it is unlikely that lawyers will reach an agreement by the end of the time-out, said Jeffrey Newman, a lawyer for at least 100 of the alleged victims. ''We haven't talked specific dollars and cents,'' he said.

Sweeney's ruling may prevent the lawyers from extending the truce. Lawyers for the archdiocese couldn't be reached for comment.

''I assume that we'll simply have to comply with the judge's wishes,'' Newman said. ''I'm not going to let it deter me from what has been a good and focused effort on both sides to get at the ... potential of settlement.''

In ordering the lawyers to expedite Law's deposition, Sweeney wrote that she was balancing the public's interest in the clergy sexual abuse cases and the rights of those involved in the lawsuits. She also said the court must focus on related matters, including a hearing that begins July 31 on whether a tentative $15 million to $30 million settlement between the archdiocese and alleged victims of convicted molester John J. Geoghan should be upheld.

Law has already answered questions under oath for two days, and yesterday, Sweeney said she expected several more days of testimony. In her ruling, Sweeney also adopted the same rules for releasing the transcripts of the Shanley depositions - for both Law and McCormack - as she already laid out in the Geoghan cases.

The transcripts would be released 30 days after the deposition is completed so witnesses have a chance to correct errors. Sweeney has yet to decide whether to release videotapes of the depositions; she will issue a ruling on that, she said, within about 10 days.

Also yesterday, lawyers for 86 alleged victims of Geoghan deposed two mediators who helped negotiate the tentative settlement between their clients and the archdiocese. Sweeney had allowed the lawyers to proceed with a very narrow course of questioning, asking whether attorneys for the archdiocese had given the mediators permission to talk to a Brockton Enterprise reporter about the settlement.

Patrick McSorley, one of the alleged victims who is suing the archdiocese, sat through nearly six hours of depositions yesterday. ''It's obvious that the mediators had the permission of the attorneys to talk to the reporter,'' he said afterward.

The question is important because lawyers for the alleged victims are trying to convince Sweeney that the mediators should be allowed to reveal whether they believed the settlement was binding. The archdiocese backed out of the settlement in May.

Kathleen Burge can be reached at kburge@globe.com.

This story ran on page B5 of the Boston Globe on 7/11/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy