Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

April 6
Church settles with four in suit

February 25, 2004
Priest was a potential witness

July 22
CEO would testify of abuse

May 8
Personal records are barred

April 8
Victim's memory is questioned

April 5
Archdiocese motion granted

February 28
Disagreement over court dates

January 28, 2003
Steps on Shanley are detailed

January 14, 2003
Former vicar admits he erred

December 12
Shanley is released on bail

December 10
Shanley may be freed on bail

December 1
Battle over files intensifies

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Shanley pleads not guilty

Priest is held on high bail in 4 child rapes

By Douglas Belkin, Globe Staff, 7/11/2002

Retired Roman Catholic priest Paul Shanley pleaded not guilty yesterday to charges that he raped four boys while assigned to a Newton church in the 1970s and '80s, and his lawyer vowed that the ex-street preacher is ''up to a fight.''

Calling Shanley a victim of intense media coverage, his lawyer, Frank Mondano, said he is concerned about his client's ability to get a fair trial, but noted, ''His attitude is unchanged. He's up to a fight. We're going to defend.''

Wearing ankle shackles and a gray sport coat, Shanley, 71, pleaded not guilty in Middlesex Superior Court to 10 counts of child rape and six counts of indecent assault and battery. He is charged with attacking four boys between 1979 and 1989 while he was assigned to the St. John the Evangelist Parish.

He was ordered held on $300,000 bail by Judge Charles Hely, then led away by two court officers. The judge scheduled the case for trial on Nov. 5.

''The potential of getting a jury that's not affected by the volume of coverage that this situation has received strikes me as remote,'' Mondano said.

But when asked if he would try to get the trial moved to another jurisdiction, Mondano answered, ''Moved to where? ... Have they not heard about it in California?''

After the arraignment, Rodney Ford, the father of one of the boys Shanley allegedly molested, said he looked into Shanley's eyes and saw a man whose back is up against the wall. ''He knows who we are,'' Ford said, referring to the half-dozen family members with him. ''And I thought he was scared. He realizes he got caught, and there's no way out for this guy now.''

Shanley has been jailed since May, when he was arrested in San Diego and brought back to Massachusetts to face charges. Prosecutors allege that while he was a priest at the now-defunct Newton parish, he abused four children ages 6 to 15 who were attending religious classes at the church.

Paul Busa, who is now 24, has said that Shanley began molesting him when he was 6, taking him out of class about once a week and assaulting him in the rectory, confessional, and a bathroom. Busa said the abuse occurred between 1983 and 1989, and that he remembered it only after he read a profile about Shanley earlier this year in the Globe.

Because the cases are so old and most of the victims were so young, Joseph Gallagher Jr., president of the Coalition of Catholics and Survivors, said he doesn't expect the state to have an easy time prosecuting a man who has come to symbolize the alleged failure of the Archdiocese of Boston to control sexually abusive priests.

''I wouldn't underestimate how difficult the trial will be,'' Gallagher said. ''You're talking largely about repressed memories.''

Earlier this year, the Boston Archdiocese released files indicating that church officials had received complaints about Shanley dating to 1967. The files also showed Shanley had advocated sex between men and boys.

Cardinal Bernard F. Law, who has been under fire since the scandal first erupted in January, said in a letter distributed to parishes in May that he did not become aware until 1993 of any abuse allegations against Shanley. But lawyers for victims have disputed Law's claim.

State Attorney General Thomas Reilly has convened a grand jury to investigate whether the cardinal and other church leaders knowingly assigned accused pedophile priests to positions where they had access to children.

This story ran on page B1 of the Boston Globe on 7/11/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy