Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
2014 update

Crux, a Catholic news site

A new site from the Boston Globe includes news updates on clergy abuse and other Catholic issues.
 Latest coverage

April 7
Vt. church in record settlement
Psychologist testifies on Porter

April 6
Victims oppose Porter release

February 24
Abuse victim found dead

January 15, 2004
O'Malley vows to help victims

December 3
Church settles with victim

November 15
Settlement fuels money advice

November 12
Claims set aside until 2004

October 21
Most plaintiffs accept deal

October 19
Therapy sought in abuse suit

October 17
Lawyer says settlement near

October 8
Victims agonize over deal

September 28
Therapy guidelines questioned
Concert to honor abuse victims

September 26
Church to review allegations

September 22
Irish victims seeking others

September 21
Some in suits may face tax bill

September 15
O'Malley at 1st Mass since deal

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Settlement seen close in Rhode Island cases

By Matt Carroll, Globe Staff, 9/6/2002

The Diocese of Providence and lawyers for three dozen alleged victims of clergy sexual abuse appear close to a settlement, according to a court document.

A motion filed in Providence Superior Court earlier this week by a plaintiff's attorney makes note of the ''likely settlement of approximately 36 of the 38 plaintiffs' claims'' in the case. The motion by attorney Steven A. Robinson was unrelated to any settlement and sought to withdraw his representation from two plaintiffs in the case. Robinson had no comment yesterday.

Other lawyers on both sides of the case declined to comment directly when asked if they were close to settlement. However, diocesan attorney William T. Murphy and the plaintiffs' attorney, Timothy J. Conlon, issued a two-sentence joint statement on Wednesday, saying, ''The parties have been involved in intense mediation toward resolution of the pending cases. Out of respect for the process, no further statement will be issued at this time.''

After 10 years of lawsuits and feuding, the parties entered into serious negotiations earlier this summer. The alleged victims said they were abused by a total of 11 priests and one nun.

The first case alleging sexual abuse by a priest was filed in 1992. In 1994, as more cases were filed, they were combined to facilitate pretrial procedure. The plaintiffs' lawyers complained about the slow progress on the cases.

A new judge, Robert D. Krause, was appointed last fall and the pace quickened. In June, Krause issued a major ruling, rejecting the church's desire for secrecy. He ordered it to turn over documents requested by the plaintiffs and to answer questions about the alleged abuse by the clerics.

Matt Carroll can be reached by e-mail at mcarroll@globe.com.

This story ran on page A15 of the Boston Globe on 9/6/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy