Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

October 25
Victims could now collect

October 2
Geoghan's sister hits guards

October 1
Geoghan's sister to speak

September 27
Conviction erasure protested
Druce is hospitalized again
Guard ad seeks understanding

September 24
Inquiry: Druce beaten as child

September 20
Druce pleads not guilty in slay
Geoghan claims guard assault

September 14
Report says Druce in a rage

September 13
Letter: Druce abused as a boy

September 12
Geoghan bore guards' abuse
Lawyer: Mail deluges accused

September 11
Expanded panel is sought

September 8
Druce is returned from hospital

September 5
Geoghan consultant ties eyed

September 4
Conflict raised on consultant

September 3
Bias concerns raised in probe

September 2
No new panel members seen

August 31
Geoghan panel to expand

Earlier stories

Search for:
Time period:

Spotlight Report

Priest's victims get second-hand apology

By Matt Carroll, Globe Staff, 9/20/2002

 Transcript
Judge OKs Geoghan settlement
Settlement doesn't heal hearts
The victims of defrocked priest John J. Geoghan received their money yesterday. What they did not get was an in-person apology from a high-ranking cleric, as victims did from bishops in Providence and Los Angeles. Instead they heard an expression of sorrow conveyed by a diocesan spokeswoman.

And there were other gestures the 86 victims did not get that other dioceses have allowed, such as the opportunity to vent their feelings face to face with a priest. Overall, other dioceses have made more of an effort - even if it was part of the legal settlement - to heal the emotional and spiritual wounds caused by abusive priests, said attorneys and a victims' rights activist involved in other cases.

In Los Angeles, the courtroom apology of two top diocesan priests to a victim made a tremendous difference, said lawyer John Manly, whose client was awarded $5.2 million last year. The apologies were a condition of the settlement and were given by an auxiliary bishop and a ranking monsignor. ''A sincere apology goes a long way,'' said Manly. ''No one had ever said, `I'm sorry,' to him or his family, until then.''

Lawyer Timothy J. Conlon, whose 36 clients settled last week in Providence for $13.5 million, said having an aide read an apology just doesn't cut it.

Boston archdiocesan spokeswoman Donna Morrissey, who offered the apology yesterday, said Cardinal Bernard F. Law was willing to meet individually with victims.

This story ran on page A9 of the Boston Globe on 9/20/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy