Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 11
Victims' lawyer to sue Dupre

March 6
Suit accuses insurer of fraud

March 5
Charges against bishop eyed

March 1
Activists seek sex abuse panel

February 26
Alleged victim to aid probe

February 13
Springfield probe is sought

January 7, 2004
Agents faced reluctant aides

December 3
Church settles with victim

November 15
Settlement fuels money advice

November 12
Claims set aside until 2004

October 30
Hard line set on abuse trials

October 21
Most plaintiffs accept deal

October 19
Therapy sought in abuse suit

October 17
Lawyer says settlement near

October 8
Victims agonize over deal

September 12
Victims seen taking settlement

September 11
Church deal a boon for lawyers

September 10
Church in $85 million accord
Archdiocese facing new strains
Most plaintiffs to accept deal
O'Malley makes an appeal

September 9
Negotiations resume in cases

Earlier stories

Search for:
Time period:

Spotlight Report

Judge warns archdiocese of heavy fines

By Matt Carroll, Globe Staff, 10/31/2002

 In-depth
The Rev. Ronald H. Paquin is the only Boston Archdiocese priest who has pleaded guilty to charges of child sexual abuse.  
Coverage of the Paquin case
Judge Constance M. Sweeney yesterday threatened the Archdiocese of Boston with heavy fines if it does not turn over psychiatric records in a lawsuit against the Rev. Ronald H. Paquin, who is accused of sexually molesting a boy. An archdiocesan spokeswoman later said there had been a breakdown in communication and the documents would be turned over today.

The handwritten order from Sweeney, filed in Middlesex Superior Court, made it clear she was upset with the archdiocese, which had been ordered to turn over the documents on Oct. 4. ''If they are not turned over, I will enter a significant financial sanction; the amount to be determined after hearing,'' wrote Sweeney.

Church spokeswoman Donna M. Morrissey said the archdiocese was not opposed to turning over the documents but had held off because church lawyers thought Paquin's lawyer was going to appeal the judge's order. Since no appeal has been filed, she said, the documents will be turned over today.

The records include 14 separate psychiatric assessments of Paquin, made between 1990 and 1995, from two psychiatric institutions.

Paquin was not removed from church duty until 2000, despite numerous complaints he had molested youths and had at least six settled cases against him. In May, the 59-year-old Paquin was indicted on three counts of rape of a child.

Walter V. Robinson contributed to this story.

This story ran on page A20 of the Boston Globe on 10/31/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy