Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
2014 update: the Globe is launching

Crux, a Catholic news site

Please visit there for continuing Globe coverage of all Catholic issues.
 Latest coverage

April 7
Vt. church in record settlement
Psychologist testifies on Porter

April 6
Victims oppose Porter release

February 24
Abuse victim found dead

January 15, 2004
O'Malley vows to help victims

December 3
Church settles with victim

November 15
Settlement fuels money advice

November 12
Claims set aside until 2004

October 21
Most plaintiffs accept deal

October 19
Therapy sought in abuse suit

October 17
Lawyer says settlement near

October 8
Victims agonize over deal

September 28
Therapy guidelines questioned
Concert to honor abuse victims

September 26
Church to review allegations

September 22
Irish victims seeking others

September 21
Some in suits may face tax bill

September 15
O'Malley at 1st Mass since deal

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Alleged sex abuse victim considered killing monsignor

By Ralph Ranalli, Globe Staff, 11/1/2002

An alleged sexual abuse victim says that he contemplated killing a Catholic priest who had just molested him in a Rhode Island motel room 21 years ago, according to a deposition released yesterday.

Dedham native David Carney said he almost slit Monsignor Frederick Ryan's throat with a broken wine bottle as Ryan lay passed out in the motel room where they had been drinking in late 1981.

''He had a loud car and I didn't think I could get rid of his car or I would have sliced his throat from ear to ear,'' said Carney, who was a 15-year-old freshman at Catholic Memorial High School at the time.

Instead, drunk and infuriated, Carney said he urinated on Ryan's bed at the Cranston motel where the priest had taken him and another teenager after a trip to Providence to get tattoos.

Carney, who is now a 36-year-old union laborer, is suing Ryan and the Archdiocese of Boston in civil court. At the time of the alleged abuse, Ryan was a vice chancellor and former resident chaplain at Catholic Memorial, where he allegedly met Carney.

''One reason this case is important is that he [Ryan] was vice chancellor at the time the conduct occurred,'' Carney's attorney, Mitchell Garabedian said. ''He was a very high-ranking church official. His immediate supervisor was Bishop Thomas Daly, who was [the archdiocese's] second in command.''

Carney also said in the July 25 deposition that he began using cocaine and alcohol after he was molested and estimates that his drinking and drug habits have cost him more than $500,000 over the last 21 years. Garabedian said yesterday that his client's substance abuse problems have continued.

In the deposition, Carney also described how Ryan enticed him into his rooms at the chancery in Brighton.

There Ryan took photographs of Carney and groped him, according to the deposition.

In a second instance of alleged abuse committed at the chancery, Ryan provided Carney with alcohol. Ryan then took photographs of Carney nude and molested him.

Prior to being sued, Ryan was pastor at a Kingston church. He has since been placed on administrative leave by Cardinal Bernard F. Law pending an investigation of the allegations against him.

This story ran on page B8 of the Boston Globe on 11/1/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy