Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
2014 update

Crux, a Catholic news site

A new site from the Boston Globe includes news updates on clergy abuse and other Catholic issues.
 Latest coverage

March 11
Victims' lawyer to sue Dupre

March 6
Suit accuses insurer of fraud

March 5
Charges against bishop eyed

March 1
Activists seek sex abuse panel

February 26
Alleged victim to aid probe

February 13
Springfield probe is sought

January 7, 2004
Agents faced reluctant aides

December 3
Church settles with victim

November 15
Settlement fuels money advice

November 12
Claims set aside until 2004

October 30
Hard line set on abuse trials

October 21
Most plaintiffs accept deal

October 19
Therapy sought in abuse suit

October 17
Lawyer says settlement near

October 8
Victims agonize over deal

September 12
Victims seen taking settlement

September 11
Church deal a boon for lawyers

September 10
Church in $85 million accord
Archdiocese facing new strains
Most plaintiffs to accept deal
O'Malley makes an appeal

September 9
Negotiations resume in cases

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Easy-print versionEasy-print

Former Law secretary goes before grand jury

By Wendy Davis, Globe Correspondent, 2/27/2003

Archbishop Alfred Hughes, secretary to Cardinal Bernard F. Law in the early 1990s, testified yesterday before a grand jury considering criminal charges against church leaders for their role in the clergy sex abuse scandal.

Hughes, now archbishop of New Orleans, filed complaints about priests, including priests accused of abusing children, when he was in Boston.

Hughes previously testified at convicted pedophile John Geoghan's criminal trial regarding a 1991 incident.

Speaking at a news conference in his hotel, Hughes told reporters he attempted to fulfill a civic responsibility, by answering all questions at yesterday's grand jury proceeding. Hughes characterized the questioning as cordial, but intense at times.

''It's demanding because I had to be very alert,'' he said. Although he was concerned when he received the subpoena, Hughes said that after his appearance, he does not believe he is a target of a criminal probe.

On Tuesday, Law's lawyer, J. Owen Todd, also said he did not believe Law or any other bishops were likely to face indictment.

Hughes also said he stood by decisions he made in the early 1990s.

''I'm confident that I made decisions that were responsible,'' Hughes said.

''Decisions can be made responsibly with the data available to one at the time,'' he said. In retrospect, he said, there have been developments in the ''knowledge of the nature of some of the sexual diseases and aberrations.''

Church records show that Hughes knew of validations against several repeat abusers, including Geoghan and admitted child abuser Ronald H. Paquin. Hughes declined to answer media questions about specific cases.

Hughes served in Boston from 1990 to 1993 when he left for a position as bishop in Baton Rouge. He has been archbishop of New Orleans since last year.

This story ran on page B3 of the Boston Globe on 2/27/2003.
© Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy