Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

April 6
Church settles with four in suit

February 25, 2004
Priest was a potential witness

July 22
CEO would testify of abuse

May 8
Personal records are barred

April 8
Victim's memory is questioned

April 5
Archdiocese motion granted

February 28
Disagreement over court dates

January 28, 2003
Steps on Shanley are detailed

January 14, 2003
Former vicar admits he erred

December 12
Shanley is released on bail

December 10
Shanley may be freed on bail

December 1
Battle over files intensifies

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Personal records barred in church abuse case

By Ralph Ranalli, Globe Staff, 5/8/2003

A state Superior Court judge has rejected as ''intrusive'' a motion by the Archdiocese of Boston to obtain the medical, psychological, and employment records of Paula and Rodney Ford, the parents of a Newton man who says he was sexually abused as a boy by the Rev. Paul R. Shanley, court documents show.

Lawyers for the archdiocese had sought the records as part of what many legal observers saw as a new and more aggressive approach to defending the Ford case. But Suffolk Superior Court Judge Constance M. Sweeney said the bid for the records was too broad and too speculative.

''The defendant asks the plaintiffs Paula and Rodney Ford to turn over their respective medical and psychological records covering their entire lifetimes,'' Sweeney wrote. ''Such an intrusive inquiry, which isn't encapsulated by any timeline but the plaintiffs' respective birth dates, is not reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence.''

Rodney Ford said the ruling was welcome news after a ''disheartening'' few weeks during which lawyers for the archdiocese tried to shift the blame for the abuse of Gregory Ford from Shanley to others, including Rodney Ford.

Gregory Ford and his family came forward last year, saying he had repressed the memory of sexual abuse by Shanley until hearing about the priest in the media.

Lawyers for the church said recently that medical records suggested that Gregory Ford may have been molested by his father. The Fords and their lawyers denied the allegation and said there was no credible evidence in the medical records of any such abuse.

Roderick MacLeish, the attorney for the family, added that neither Rodney nor Paula Ford has ever received psychological counseling or therapy.

Archdiocese lawyers could not be reached for comment.

This story ran on page B8 of the Boston Globe on 5/8/2003.
© Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy