Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
2014 update

Crux, a Catholic news site

A new site from the Boston Globe includes news updates on clergy abuse and other Catholic issues.
 Latest coverage

April 30
Archdiocese sets $10.5m goal

April 29
Insurer files countersuit

April 21
BC buys diocese headquarters
Sale leaves neighbors wary
Deal was a match for both
School expands its footprint

April 3
Archdiocese cites $14m loss

February 24
Proceeds to benefit diocese

January 13, 2004
O'Malley seeks closing advice

January 10, 2004
Letter: Accept pain of closings

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 17
O'Malley plans aggressive cuts

December 14
BC's chance to relieve squeeze

December 10
Parishes closure candidates

December 9
Diocese to mortgage seminary

December 7
Property piques BC's interest

December 6
BC board backs land deal

December 5
BC eyes archdiocese land
Neighbors watch property sale

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Archdiocese says drive raised $200m

By Michael Paulson, Globe Staff, 5/17/2003

The Archdiocese of Boston yesterday announced that it has raised $200 million through its capital campaign, a total the church called a remarkable accomplishment given the weak national economy and the clergy sexual abuse crisis.

With six weeks to go in its extended campaign, the archdiocese said it is unlikely to raise significantly more money at this point and acknowledged that it will fall short of its $300 million goal. But the church said it is delighted, given the obstacles, to have raised $200 million, which is the second-largest amount ever raised by a diocesan capital campaign.

''It's a huge success,'' said Elizabeth Jennings-White, development communications director for the archdiocese. Jennings-White said more than 26,000 people gave to the campaign.

Cardinal Bernard F. Law launched the campaign in June 2001 in an effort to help fund church education, social services, and health care. At the time, he said he had already raised 45 percent of the $300 million through pledges and was confident that he could raise the rest by December 2002.

But the economy was souring even as the church was launching its campaign, forcing some contributors to rethink their philanthropic commitments. And the sex abuse crisis exploded in January 2002, prompting many Catholics to decide not to give to the archdiocese.

In March 2002, the archdiocese decided to extend the campaign by six months in an effort to reach its goal; in December, after Law resigned, the church tried to reach out again to donors alienated by the cardinal.

''Even though the original goal was $300 million, the fact that over $200 million was raised in pledges and gifts during these past two years is extraordinary,'' said Kenneth J. Hokenson, chief development officer for the archdiocese.

The capital campaign is used to finance the church's long-term needs. The church's annual operating expenses are funded largely through another campaign, now called the Annual Catholic Appeal, which is now underway in an effort to raise $9 million.

Michael Paulson can be reached at mpaulson@globe.com.

This story ran on page B8 of the Boston Globe on 5/17/2003.
© Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy