Druce hospitalized again after swallowing object
By Sean P. Murphy, Globe Staff, 9/27/2003
Druce, 38, was taken to the state-operated Lemuel Shattuck Hospital in Boston Thursday afternoon and was expected to be returned to the Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley soon, according to Justin Latini, a state Department of Correction spokesman.
Latini said the injury was not life-threatening and declined to provide other details.
Druce's lawyer, John H. LaChance of Framingham, said he knew little about the episode, but called the two events a demonstration of Druce's need for a prompt psychiatric evaluation.
At Druce's arraignment last week, a judge granted a request by LaChance for funds to pay for an evaluation. LaChance is investigating an insanity defense for Druce, who was convicted in 1989 of murdering a man in Gloucester. He has pleaded not guilty to murder in Geoghan's death.
Druce swallowed two small pencils while in his cell Sept. 5 and was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester to have the objects removed from his stomach by endoscopic surgery.