Stress fracture prevention tips
Baima suggests these five steps:
1. Start slowly—Increase distance by no more than 10% per week. Do not run every day. Give yourself a day off in between.
2. Make sure you get enough calcium and vitamin D. It is OK to wear sunscreen. It is inevitable that you will miss a spot, and 10 to 20 minutes of bright sunlight is likely all that you need for vitamin D. No need to risk skin cancer when you can take a vitamin D supplement.
3. Avoid caffeine. It amps people up and can encourage training through an injury.
4. Do not run barefoot without proper training. (I would say do not run barefoot at all, but choose a very thin-soled shoe. There is no telling what you might step on in the city.)
5. Change your footwear every six months or 500 miles or sooner if you start to feel pain.