We asked the stylists at Mario Russo (9 Newbury St., 617-424-6676) to create super simple, fashion-forward hairstyles for the upcoming prom/wedding/graduation season. Stylist Elle Proulx created this look on model Mallory Dion, a glamorous (but practical) half-up, half-down do that would work on a variety of hair types and lengths and could be a humid weather hero for ladies with bangs.
We deem this look: The New Romantic.
1. Make a dramatic side part on the far left side.
2. Beginning at the side part, French braid along the front of the hairline, moving towards the right ear.
3. Continue to braid, weaving in more and more hair as your work towards your right ear. Stop braiding just behind the right ear and secure with a dark or clear elastic.
4. Take the remaining loose hair and curl 1-2" sections with a large barrel curling iron or a flat iron.* Gently run your fingers through curls to separate.
5. To finish the look, wrap curls around bottom of braid to cover the elastic. Add a light mist of hairspray.
* Confused on how to curl your hair with a flat iron? It's easier than it sounds. Check out this great YouTube tutorial for a quick how-to.
-- Anna Marden, Boston.com correspondent