|Butter (for the pan)|
|2||Delicata squash (2 pounds total), halved and seeded|
|1||tablespoon canola oil|
|9||whole graham crackers|
|6||tablespoons unsaltedbutter, melted|
|¾||cup evaporated milk|
|¼||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|¼||teaspoon ground ginger|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch tart pan with removeable base.
2. Rub the cut sides of the squash with oil. Place cut side down in a baking dish and roast for 40 minutes or until the squash flesh is tender when pierced with askewer.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the graham crackers until finely ground. Add the pecans and continue to pulse until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
4. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the salt and 4 tablespoons of the sugar. Add the butter and toss until combined. Pour the mixture into the tart pan. With your fingers, press the crust on the bottom and sides of the pan until it is even and compact. Set on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Leave the oven on.
5. When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh from the skin with a large spoon. Transfer to a bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork. Blend in the remaining 8 tablespoons sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger until the mixture is smooth.
6. Pour the squash mixture into the crust and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or just until set. Cool before serving with whipped cream. Molly Shuster