|Butter (for the dish)|
|3||slices country bread, made into bread crumbs(1½ cups)|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||tablespoon chopped parsley|
|2||onions, thinly sliced|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||cups leftover meat broth|
|2||cups cooked celery root, carrots, and rutabaga, cut into matchsticks|
|2||cooked beef shanks, meat cut into slices|
1. Set the oven at 450 degrees. Lightly butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
2. In a small bowl, toss the bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and parsley together.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the remaining1 tablespoon olive oil. Add theonions, salt, and pepper. Cook,stirring often, for 8 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Stir inthe flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the broth a little at a time. Bring to a simmer. Stir in the leftover vegetables. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
4. Transfer half the onions andvegetables to the baking dish. Adda layer of sliced beef. Cover with the remaining vegetables. Spread the bread crumbs on top.
5. Bake the gratin for 20 minutes or until the bread crumbs are browned and the gratin is hot.
Sally Pasley Vargas