Makes about 9 cups
|3||tablespoons unsalted butter|
|½||cup canola oil|
|¾||cup packed brown
|1||tablespoon honey, or more to taste|
|7||cups old-fashioned rolled oats|
|½||cup coarsely chopped pecans|
|½||cup coarsely chopped walnuts|
|½||cup slivered almonds|
|½||cup unsweetened or sweetened shredded
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
2. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in the oil, brown sugar, and honey. Simmer the mixture over low heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the sugar melts and the mixture is slightly syrupy.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and cinnamon; set aside to cool slightly.
4. In a large bowl, combine the oats, pecans, walnuts, almonds, and coconut. Pour the sugar mixture over the top and mix with your hand to combine well. If it’s too hot, let it cool more; you really need to use your hands to make sure the sugar mixture is evenly distributed and rubbed in.
5. Spread the oat mixture in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring well every 12 to 15 minutes (the edges will brown faster than the middle, so it’s important to stir periodically). Cool completely and store in an airtight container.