|2||cornbreads (8-inch squares), left out for 1 day|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) unsalted butter|
|2||Spanish onions, chopped|
|6||stalks celery, chopped|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1 1/2||cups pecans, toasted|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh thyme|
|3||tablespoons chopped fresh sage|
|1 1/2||cups chicken stock, or more if needed|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Cut the cornbread into 1-inch pieces and transfer them to a bowl; set aside.
3. In a deep skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions, celery, and plenty of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until they are translucent. Tip the mixture into the cornbread. Stir gently.
4. Add the pecans, thyme, sage, 1 cup of the chicken stock, then enough of the remaining stock to make a moist stuffing.
5. Transfer to the dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until hot and browned. Sheryl Julian