Makes 1 large pizza
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|4||cloves garlic, smashed|
|1||can (28 ounces) whole peeled plum tomatoes, drained|
|3||ounces ( 1/2 of a 6-ounce can) tomato paste|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|Dried oregano, to taste|
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, salt, and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes, or until the sauce is well flavored.
|1 3/4||cups warm water (about 115 degrees)|
|4 1/2||teaspoons active dry yeast|
|3 1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1/2||cup whole wheat flour|
|2||tablespoons powdered milk|
|1||tablespoon Italian seasoning|
|All-purpose flour (for sprinkling)|
|6||tablespoons olive oil, or more to taste|
|1/2||pound mozzarella, cut into small dice|
1. In a bowl, combine the warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast on top and stir until dissolved; set aside for 5 minutes or until the mixture foams up to 1/2-inch above the water.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose and whole wheat flours with the salt, powdered milk, and Italian seasoning. Add the yeast mixture and stir with a mixing spoon until it is too thick to stir. Turn out onto a floured counter and knead until smooth and elastic. If dough is sticky, add a little more flour. Form the dough into a ball.
3. Coat a medium bowl with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place dough in bowl and turn it until it is coated with oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and set in a warm, dry place to rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough doubles in size.
4. Place a pizza stone or unglazed quarry tiles on the lowest shelf of the oven. Set the oven at 475 degrees. Have on hand an 11-by-16-inch pan. Spread it with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
5. Turn the dough onto a floured counter, punch it down, and knead for 4 minutes or until dough is elastic and not as spongy. Let rest for 15 minutes.
6. Place the dough in pan and shape it with your hands to fit the pan. Rub 2 more tablespoons of olive oil over the dough. Top with sauce.
7. Set the pan on the stone or tiles. Bake for 25 minutes.
8. Remove the pan from the oven and scatter the cheese on the sauce. Bake the pizza for 5 minutes more.