|Butter (for the pan)|
|3/4||cup granulated sugar|
|3||tablespoons butter, melted|
|1||teaspoon instant espresso or coffee granules mixed with 1 tablespoon water (or 1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee)|
|1 1/2||teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1/2||cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted|
|1/2||teaspoon baking powder|
|Confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the granulated sugar, egg, molasses, butter, coffee, and vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the molasses mixture until completely blended.
4. Transfer the batter to the pan. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Make 3 cuts in one direction, and 3 cuts in the other direction to make 16 brownies. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Adapted from Harvest restaurant