Sometimes the simplest cakes make the nicest desserts. This nutty confection, scented with cinnamon and cloves, is baked in a large springform pan. Serve it with whipped cream or sliced oranges.
|Butter (for the pan)|
|Flour (for the pan)|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2||teaspoon ground cloves|
|1||cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature|
|1 1/3||cups granulated sugar|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
2. In a bowl, sift the flour, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
3. In a food processor, grind the nuts until they are medium fine.
4. In an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the sugar gradually in three stages, beating after each one. Add the eggs, one by one, beating only until they are incorporated.
5. Remove the bowl from the mixer stand. With a rubber spatula, stir in the nuts, then fold in the flour mixture.
6. Pour the batter into the pan, smooth the top, and bake the cake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Adapted from Rendezvous restaurant