A simple green salad is the perfect complement to this hearty dish.
|Butter for the pan|
|2||to 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes|
|1/2||pound thick-cut bacon, cut into matchsticks|
|1/2||large onion, thinly sliced|
|1||whole Reblochon cheese, about 1 pound|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
2. Place the potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and, over medium heat, boil gently until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and cool.
3. In a large saute pan, fry the bacon until crisp. Add the onion and cook until it is caramelized. Set aside.
4. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and slice into 1/2-inch-thick disks.
5. Cut the Reblochon in half horizontally. Cut one of those halves into fat strips.
6. Line the baking dish with a layer of potato slices, using about half of the potatoes. Spread the onion and bacon over the potatoes. Arrange the strips of Reblochon on top. Lay the remaining potato slices over the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Cut the remaining Reblochon in half vertically and put the two halves on top of the potatoes with the rind facing up.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Adapted from Brigitte Brunet-Foessel