|1||tablespoon baking powder|
|Pinch of salt|
|7||tablespoons solid vegetable shortening|
|1/2||pound sharp cheddar, grated|
|Extra flour (for sprinkling)|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. Use a pastry blender to work the mixture until it forms crumbs. With a rubber spatula, stir in the cheese.
3. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of the buttermilk over the mixture and stir with the spatula to moisten the dry ingredients. Add enough of the remaining buttermilk to make a mixture that almost comes together.
4. On a lightly floured counter, gently pat the mixture to form a dough.
4. Cut off golf-ball size pieces of the dough. Flour your hands and roll the balls gently, then flatten them with your hands to make 1/2-inch thick rounds. Set them on the baking sheet. Continue until all the biscuits are formed.
5. Bake the biscuits for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Adapted from Verna Faucette