Pumpkin whoopie pies
Makes 12 to 20 whoopie pies (depending on size)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon nutmeg powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1. In a large bowl, blend the sugar and oil. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Whisk to blend them. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
3. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Set the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Spoon the dough onto the baking sheets, making either 24 or 40 mounds. Bake them for 5 to 8 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Let the pies cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In an electric mixer, beat the cream until it holds soft peaks. Add the sugar and cinnamon and continue beating until the cream forms stiff peaks.
2. When the cookies are cool, spoon the cream filling onto one cookie and top with another. Adapted from "Fresh & Honest"