Grilled swordfish wraps with mango salsa
I first tasted freshly caught grilled seafood with salsas on the beach in a small restaurant in Mexico. Wrapped in warm flour tortillas, they make an ideal lunch or dinner. You can skip the tortillas and serve this with rice or quinoa. You need 10 bamboo skewers.
|4||ripe mangoes (each about 1 pound)|
|1||medium red onion, finely chopped|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|6||tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
1. Holding a mango upright on one end, cut off the two fleshy cheeks on the sides, cutting as close to the pit as possible. Score or cut the flesh into 1/4-inch dice. Scrape the flesh from the skin with a spoon and transfer to a bowl. Continue with the remaining mangoes.
2. Add the onion, cumin, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Mix gently, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
|1 1/2||pounds swordfish steaks, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick, or a firm-fleshed fish fillet, such as cod, haddock, or mahi mahi|
|2||tablespoons soy sauce|
|3||tablespoons dry white vermouth or white wine|
|18||large flour tortillas, brushed lightly with toasted sesame oil|
2. Cut the fish into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Add the soy sauce and vermouth or wine. Toss lightly.
3. Trim the ends of the scallions and cut the scallions into 1-inch sections, using mainly the white and the firm green parts.
4. Fold the tortillas into quarters and arrange on rimmed baking sheet. Cover with foil and transfer to the oven for 8 minutes or until just warm.
5. Thread a scallion section onto a skewer, then a piece of fish, and continue until you have scallions at both ends and 3 pieces of fish on each skewer.
6. Prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium. Arrange a rack 3 to 4 inches from the heat. Set the kebabs on the grill and cover the grill. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes on a side, basting with the marinade, or until the fish turns opaque.
7. Transfer the skewers to plates, and add some mango salsa and a tortilla to each one. Each diner puts some swordfish on a tortilla, spoons salsa on top, and rolls it up.