|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|6||medium beets, halved (skins intact)|
|3||large russet potatoes, quartered (skins intact)|
|1/3||cup olive oil, or more to taste|
|2||tablespoons red wine vinegar, or more to taste|
|1/2||red onion, thinly sliced|
|2||tomatoes, coarsely chopped|
|1||cucumber, halved, seeded, and sliced|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh oregano|
2. Add the potatoes to the beets. Continue simmering for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are not quite tender.
3. Add the whole eggs to the pot. Continue cooking for 9 minutes.
4. Tip the vegetables and eggs into a colander. Rinse with cold water. Set the vegetables aside until they are no longer hot. Peel the eggs and set them aside.
4. Remove the beet and potato skins. Slice the vegetables into 1/2-inch pieces. Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Set aside for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring gently.
5. Add the onion, tomatoes, and cucumber. Toss gently. Taste for seasoning and add more oil or vinegar, if you like.
6. Slice the eggs and sprinkle them on top of the salad. Add the oregano and more salt and pepper. Toss again just before serving. Adapted from Sal Sergi