1/2 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup corn oil
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
12 jumbo dates
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup ground pistachios
Fresh mint leaves (for garnish)
1. In skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the flour is golden brown.
2. Slowly pour the corn oil into the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the mix is the consistency of a smooth paste.
3. Stir in the cardamom and cinnamon. Set the mixture aside to cool.
4. Meanwhile, make a lengthwise slit on one side of the dates. Remove the pits. Add the walnuts to the dates and press them along the slit to seal them.
5. On a cake plate, spread half the flour mixture. Place a layer of stuffed dates on top. Spread remaining flour mixture on the dates. Sprinkle with pistachios and garnish with mint leaves. Adapted from Tabrizi Bakery