|1||cup walnut halves|
|8||medium beets (red, yellow, striped), scrubbed and trimmed at both ends|
|Olive oil (for sprinkling)|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1/3||cup lemon juice|
|1||teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1/2||cup olive oil|
|About 8 cups salad greens (mache, arugula, baby spinach)|
|6||ounces gorgonzola or another blue cheese|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallions|
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, spread the walnuts. Toast them, turning often, for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are aromatic. Tip the nuts into a bowl. Wipe out the baking dish.
2. Turn the oven temperature up to 400 degrees. Place the beets in the baking dish and sprinkle with oil, salt, and pepper. Roast the beets for 40 minutes or until they are tender.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk salt, pepper, lemon juice, and mustard until smooth. Gradually whisk in the oil; set aside.
4. Arrange the greens on a serving platter; refrigerate.
5.Remove beets from the oven and set aside just until cool enough to handle. Working over a plate, slip off the skins with your fingers. Slice beets 1/4 inch thick. Arrange on greens.
6. Spoon half the dressing over the salad; serve the rest separately. Crumble cheese over the salad, and sprinkle with walnuts and chives. Adapted from Sandra DeJong