|1||cup long-grain white rice|
1. In a saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the rice. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 17 or 18 minutes or until the rice is tender.
2. Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
|1/4||cup soy sauce|
|2||teaspoons hoisin sauce|
|1/2||teaspoon dark sesame oil|
|1||tablespoon peanut or canola oil|
|1||clove garlic, chopped|
|1||pound boneless sirloin steak, sliced on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices|
|2||carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal|
|1||red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into matchsticks|
|1/4||pound snow peas, trimmed|
|2||scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal|
|Salt, to taste (optional)|
2. Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the peanut or canola oil and when it is hot, cook the garlic, stirring constantly, for 40 seconds.
2. Add the meat and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until the meat is seared. Add the carrots cook, still stirring, for 2 minutes more.
3. Add the red pepper and snow peas and cook 2 minutes. Pour in the soy sauce mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook 2 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt, if you like. Spoon over rice in individual bowls. Sprinkle with scallions. Lisa Falso