|Butter (for the dish)|
|1||loaf (1 pound) unsliced brioche or challah bread|
|4||tablespoons butter, at room temperature|
|1||cup granulated sugar|
|2||cups whole milk|
|1||cup heavy cream|
|2||ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated|
2. Slice the bread 1/2-inch thick. Butter one side lightly and set the slices in the dish buttered sides up. Sprinkle with raisins. Continue with 2 more layers of bread, butter, and raisins.
3. Set the baking dish in a roasting pan large enough to hold it with some room at the edges.
4. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, milk, and cream until blended. Pour the mixture over bread. Sprinkle with chocolate.
5. Add enough boiling water to the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
6. Bake the pudding for 40 to 50 minutes or until the custard is set at the edges. Remove the baking dish from the water bath and set it on a clean kitchen towel. Serve hot or warm. Adapted from the Monro, Liverpool