|2 1/2||cups water|
|1||cup coarse grits|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh chives|
|1/4||cup crumbled goat cheese|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|8||ounces mixed mushrooms (button, portobello, shiitake, oyster), trimmed and sliced|
|1/2||cup canned white beans|
|1/2||cup canned tomatoes, crushed in a bowl|
|1||teaspoon chopped fresh thyme|
|1/4||cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut up|
2. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Stir in the grits and cook, stirring often, for 20 to 30 minutes or until the grits are tender. Remove from the heat, stir in the chives, cheese, salt, and pepper.
3. Spread the grits in the pan to 1/2-inch thickness. Refrigerate until cold.
4. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add all the mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, until they release their liquid. Turn up the heat and let the liquid evaporate.
5. Add the beans, tomatoes, thyme, and sherry to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Let the mixture bubble steadily until the liquid reduces by half; set aside.
6. Cut the grits into 4 cakes. In another skillet, heat the butter and when it melts, brown the grit cakes on both sides. Reheat the mushroom mixture. Arrange a grit cake on each of 4 plates and ladle the mushroom mixture on top. Adapted from “Fresh and Honest’’