Marinated lemon-chicken kebabs
Serves 4 with leftovers
|Grated rind of 1 lemon|
|Juice of 2 lemons|
|3||tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|6||tablespoons olive oil|
|2 1/2||pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks|
|2||medium yellow or orange bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|2||small zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1||medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1||Italian eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1/2||pint cherry tomatoes|
1. Soak 14 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, stir the lemon rind and juice, rosemary, salt, pepper, honey, and olive oil until blended.
3. Add the chicken, bell peppers, zucchini, onion, eggplant, and cherry tomatoes. Stir to coat them. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 2 hours.
4. Place an oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler element. Turn on the broiler.
5. Thread the chicken and vegetables on the skewers, dividing the chicken evenly among them.
6. Place the skewers in a broiler pan and broil for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is white and starting to brown. Turn and broil 5 minutes more or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are lightly charred. (Save 4 skewers for the pita pockets.) Serve with rice.
Sally Pasley Vargas