|2||cups cooked chickpeas or 1 1/2 cans (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained|
|1/2||cup leftover chickpea ragout|
|1||teaspoon kosher salt|
|Black pepper, to taste|
|1||cup dry bread crumbs|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh cilantro|
|3||scallions, trimmed and chopped|
|1/4||cup grated Parmesan|
|2||tablespoons canola oil|
|4||whole-wheat rolls, toasted|
|4||romaine or red leaf lettuce leaves|
1. In a food processor, combine the chickpeas and ragout. Pulse until chopped. (Don’t use more ragout or the patties will be too soft to hold together.)
2. Add the eggs, salt, and pepper and pulse a few times until the mixture is like thick, chunky hummus.
3. Add the bread crumbs, cilantro, scallions, and Parmesan. Pulse a few times just to mix well. Transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl and shape it into 4 patties, each about 1 inch thick.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Set the patties in the oil and cook for 8 minutes or until the bottoms brown. Turn and cook the other sides for 5 to 7 minutes or until brown.
5. Spread the rolls with a light coating of mayonnaise. Set the patties inside the rolls and tuck lettuce into each one.