Serves 4 with leftovers
Four of these packets are layered with pork tenderloin and lots of vegetables, including zucchini, summer squash, fennel, mushrooms, and asparagus. The fifth is vegetables only, which you save to toss with bow ties for a salad. Heavy duty foil will withstand hot coals for 25 minutes, but regular foil may not. With a scissors, cut vents in the top before grilling so the vegetables turn smoky when the grill cover goes on.
|2||small or 1 large pork tenderloin (1 1/2 pounds total)|
|Olive oil (for sprinkling)|
|2||medium yellow squash|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||bulb fresh fennel|
|1/2||pound fresh snow peas, trimmed and halved|
|10||ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|1||pint cherry tomatoes, each sliced into thirds|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh oregano|
1. Wrap the meat in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour or until it is very cold but not frozen solid.
2. Lay 5 sheets of heavy duty foil (each about 24 inches long) on the counter. Sprinkle them with oil.
3. Slice the meat very thinly on a diagonal. On 4 pieces of foil, spread the meat in a 6-inch square.
4. Halve the zucchini and squash lengthwise. Slice both thinly on the diagonal. Divide among 5 pieces of foil. Sprinkle with oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Snap the ends off the asparagus and cut the spears into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Divide them among the 5 packets.
6. Cut off the fennel fronds. Slice the bulb in half vertically, then thinly slice each half. Divide the fennel, snow peas, mushrooms, and tomatoes among the 5 packets. Sprinkle with oil, salt, pepper, and half the oregano.
7. Bring the long sides up over the vegetables. Fold them over once or twice to seal. Fold in the short ends to seal. With scissors, cut 4 steam vents in each packet. Use a heavy marker to write a “V’’ on the packet of vegetables only.
8. Light a charcoal grill and wait for the coals to turn gray or set a gas grill to medium-high.
9. Set the packets on the grill rack, cover with the lid, and cook for 25 minutes. Open the packet with the “V’’ and set it aside for the bow-tie salad.
10. Open the remaining packets and sprinkle with the remaining oregano. Serve in the foil or transfer the contents to plates.