Serves 4, with leftovers
|8||small russet potatoes|
|1/4||cup sour cream|
|2||tablespoons chopped chives|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Have on hand a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Prick the potatoes in several places. Place them on the sheet and bake for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a knife.
3. Reserve 4 potatoes for oven fries.
|2||teaspoons ground cayenne pepper|
|2||teaspoons ground black pepper|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|6||skirt steaks (6 ounces each), trimmed of excess fat|
|Salt, to taste|
|1||tablespoon canola oil|
1. In a small bowl, stir together paprika, sugar, cayenne and black pepper, and cumin. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture for sloppy Joes.
2. Transfer the spice rub to a rimmed baking sheet. Dip each side of the steak into the rub, coating thoroughly. Sprinkle with salt.
3. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Cook the steaks for 3 minutes on each side (if the steaks are thick, cook 1 minute longer on each side). Let the steaks rest for a few minutes.
4. Arrange a steak on each of 4 plates. Reserve 2 steaks for sloppy Joes.
5. Split open 4 potatoes and top with sour cream, chives, salt, and pepper.
Karoline Boehm Goodnick