|3/4||teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|4 1/2||cups cornflakes|
|4||medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices (without end pieces)|
|3||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|3||tablespoons unsalted butter|
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Have on hand 2 large rimmed baking sheets, one lined with paper towels.
2. In a shallow bowl, whisk the flour, salt, cayenne, and sugar to blend them.
3. In another shallow bowl, whisk the egg and milk.
4. In a third shallow bowl, crush the cornflakes with your hands.
5. One by one, dredge the tomatoes in flour, shake off the excess, dip in egg, shake off excess, and coat with cornflakes, pressing them into the slices. Arrange slices on the baking sheet.
6. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter until hot. Add 4 tomato slices and cook 3 minutes. Turn and cook 3 minutes more. Transfer to paper towel-lined sheet. Wipe out skillet.
7. Fry remaining tomatoes in remaining oil and butter in 2 more batches. Arrange on the unlined baking sheet. Bake for 4 minutes or until hot and tender. Adapted from
“The Gourmet Cookbook’’