|Oil (for the dish)|
|4||skinless, boneless chicken breast halves|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|2||cups fresh or frozen cranberries (if frozen, do not thaw)|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2||cup brown sugar|
|Juice and pulp of 1 orange|
|2/3||cup Italian bread crumbs|
|1/2||cup shredded Parmesan|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Pound the chicken breast halves to a uniform thickness of about 1/2 inch. In a plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken pieces, one at a time, and shake to coat them; set chicken aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil . Add the chicken in one layer. Cook for 5 minutes on a side or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate.
4. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, cinnamon, water, Marsala, brown sugar, orange juice and pulp. Bring to a low boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 8 minutes or until the berries pop and the mixture thickens slightly.
5. Stir in the bread crumbs; the mixture will become quite thick, almost pasty.
6. Spread 1/3 of the cranberry mixture in the baking dish. Arrange chicken on top. Spread remaining cranberry mixture on the chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is brown.
Adapted from Cindy Rhodes