|Butter (for the dish)|
|1||cup mixed dried mushrooms (porcini, shiitake, oyster)|
|2||cups hot water|
|4||tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) butter|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|3||stalks celery, chopped|
|1||pound button mushrooms, cut into quarters|
|1 1/4||pounds crusty loaf, cut into cubes (about 8 cups), left out to harden|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh sage|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh parsley|
|4||eggs, lightly beaten|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. In a small bowl, combine dried mushrooms and hot water; set aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add button mushrooms and cook 10 minutes more.
4. Add dried mushrooms and their liquid. Bring to boil, stirring. Simmer 5 minutes; cool.
5. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, mushroom mixture, sage, parsley, eggs, salt, and pepper.
6. Transfer to the baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and beginning to turn crusty on top.
Karoline Boehm Goodnick