You can use peeled butternut squash, if you like; allow 45 minutes only for the initial baking.
|2||medium whole butternut squashes (about 3 pounds each)|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|Butter (for the dish)|
|1||canned chipotle pepper, chopped, or more to taste|
|2||tablespoons butter, at room temperature|
|1||bag (7 ounces) mini marshmallows|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Have on hand a large roasting pan and a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Halve the unpeeled squash lengthwise. With a spoon, remove the seeds and pulp. Set halves cut sides up in the roasting pan. Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Pour enough water in at the sides of the pan to make a 1-inch layer.
3. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the squash is soft when tested with a skewer. Remove from the water and set aside to cool. Leave the oven on. Discard the liquid from the dish and wipe it out. Butter the dish.
4. Use a spoon to scoop the squash flesh from the peel. Transfer it to a large bowl. Mash with chipotle and butter. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and black pepper, if you like.
5. Transfer the mixture to the dish. Cover with marshmallows. Bake for 15 minutes or until marshmallows are brown and bubbling.