|1||loaf crusty bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick|
|2||cloves garlic, halved|
|Olive oil (for sprinkling)|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|3||bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange), cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|1||zucchini, halved, seeds removed, and sliced|
|2||small eggplant, peeled and sliced|
|2||teaspoons dried oregano|
|1/2||cup chopped fresh mint|
|3||tablespoons olive oil|
|Juice of 1 lemon|
1. Turn on the broiler. Arrange the bread in one layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil the slices, watching them carefully and turning once, until they are crisp on both sides. Alternatively, grill the bread. Remove from the baking sheet and rub with the cut side of garlic and sprinkle with olive oil and salt.
2. Turn the oven down to 425 degrees.
3. In a bowl, toss the bell peppers, zucchini, and eggplant with oregano, mint, 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
4. Wipe the baking sheet. Place the vegetables on it. Roast for 25 minutes, or until they are golden and tender. Set aside to cool.
5. In a food processor, work the vegetables until they resemble chunky salsa. Transfer to a bowl. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with olive oil and lemon juice.
6. Spoon onto the toasts.
Adapted from Peter Nyberg