A hearty breakfast dish should have everything you crave after a late night of revelry. This one contains eggs, milk, sausages, cubed bread, chilies, and cheddar. Assemble the casserole before New Year’s Eve, or even the day before. Then bake it while you sip strong coffee. Serve with salsa and pan-fried potatoes. You’ll be well prepared for a long day of couch surfing and other lazy endeavors.
|Butter (for the pan)|
|1||teaspoon canola oil|
|6||breakfast sausage links|
|6||cups (about 8 slices) cubed bread|
|1||can (4 ounces) mild green chilies|
|1 1/2||cups milk|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1 1/2||cups shredded white cheddar|
2. In a large skillet over high heat, heat the oil. Prick the sausages well all over. Brown them, turning often, for 5 minutes. Remove them from the pan. When they are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. In the same skillet, cook the onion, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until softened.
4. In a large bowl, combine the sausage, onion, bread, and green chilies. Transfer to the baking dish.
5. In the same bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheese on top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the top is golden. Cool for 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Karoline Boehm Goodnick