|4||thick slices rustic bread|
|4||tablespoons olive oil|
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|2||leeks, trimmed of dark green, thinly sliced, and well rinsed|
|4||cups cooked white beans|
|1||bunch fresh kale or chard, stemmed, rinsed well, and chopped|
|1||teaspoon crushed red pepper|
1. Set the oven at 250 degrees. Toast the bread for 10 minutes or until it is very dry. Brush with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and rub with garlic cloves. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper; set aside.
2. In a soup pot over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the leeks, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes.
3. Add the beans and enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add the kale and red pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
5. Taste the soup for seasoning and add more salt or red pepper, if you like. Serve with garlic toast.