Serves 2 with leftovers
|Salt and black pepper, to taste|
|1||cup long-grain white rice|
|3||tablespoons olive oil|
|1 1/2||pounds large unshelled shrimp, peeled|
|1||small onion, chopped|
|2||cloves garlic, chopped|
|1/2||teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more to taste|
|1||pint cherry tomatoes, halved|
|1||can (14 ounces) whole tomatoes and their juices, crushed in a bowl|
|Pinch of sugar|
|1||cup dry white wine|
|1/2||cup fresh basil leaves, sliced|
|Juice of 1/2 lemon|
|Extra basil leaves (for garnish)|
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the water and a generous pinch of salt to a boil. Add the rice, lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice absorbs the water and the grains are tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from the pan; set aside.
3. Add the onion, salt, and black pepper to the skilet. Cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until it softens. Add the garlic, red pepper, and cherry tomatoes. Cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
4. Add the canned tomatoes, sugar, and wine. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the basil and lemon juice. Return the shrimp to the pan. Heat for 1 minute or until hot. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Set aside 2 cups of shrimp and sauce for the shrimp stew. Spoon the shrimp and tomato mixture over the rice. Garnish with basil.