Serves 4 If you have never cooked with game before, this flatbread with ground buffalo sausage makes a satisfying first effort.
|1/2||pound ground buffalo (also called bison)|
|3||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2||tablespoons pine nuts|
|2||teaspoons dried rosemary|
|Grated rind of 1/2 lemon|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||naan (available in many supermarkets)|
|3||roasted red peppers (from a jar or deli), drained and coarsely chopped|
|1||cup shredded mozzarella|
|Large handful fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees. Have on hand a large rimmed baking sheet.
2. In a bowl, combine the buffalo, garlic, salt, pine nuts, rosemary, lemon rind, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Mix well. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
3. In another bowl, combine the ricotta, nutmeg, and black pepper.
4. In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Pinch off 1-inch pieces of the buffalo mixture. Roll gently between the fingers to slightly condense each piece. Set them in the skillet. Cook for 4 minutes or unti the undersides are brown. Turn and cook 2 minutes more. The meat will be pink inside.
5. Rub both sides of the naan with the remaining olive oil. Set them on the baking sheet. Spoon the ricotta mixture on top. Add the buffalo, red peppers, and mozzarella.
6. Bake the rounds for 20 minutes or until the mozzarella begins to brown. Sprinkle with basil.
Adapted from Denny Corriveau