|2||teaspoons canola oil|
|1||small onion, chopped|
|4||pieces (about 1 pound) cooked skirt steak, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|1||tablespoon dry mustard|
|1 1/2||cups beef broth|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|8||ounces broad egg noodles|
|2||cups mushroom sauce|
|1/3||cup sour cream|
|1/4||cup chopped parsley|
1. In a large flameproof casserole, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
2. Add the beef. Cook for 2 minutes more. Sprinkle the flour and mustard over the beef mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
3. Add the beef broth, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, to release browned bits in the pan. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until they are tender but still have some bite. Drain into a colander.
5. Stir the mushroom sauce into the simmering broth and let the mixture return to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the sour cream. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if you like.
6. In 4 deep plates, divide the noodles, top with sauce, and sprinkle with parsley.
Karoline Boehm Goodnick