Serves 4 with leftovers
|4||thick slices red onion ( 1/2-inch each)|
|1/4||cup olive oil|
|8||large portobello mushroom caps|
|4||plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||ounces cheddar, cut in slices|
|4||soft rolls, halved horizontally|
|2||ripe avocados, sliced and sprinkled with the juice of 1 lemon|
1. Soak four 10-inch bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
2. Thread a skewer horizontally through the middle of each onion ring. With a pastry brush, coat the onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Light a charcoal grill or turn a gas grill to medium-high. Set the mushrooms on the grill gill sides down, the tomatoes flat sides down, and the onions on their skewers. Grill 4 minutes. Turn and grill for 3 minutes more, or until the vegetables are cooked through. Transfer the onions, tomatoes, and 4 mushrooms to a plate. Save 4 mushrooms for the bulgur salad.
4. Top the 4 mushrooms on the grill with cheese. Cover the grill and cook for 1 minute, or until the cheese melts. Toast the cut sides of the rolls for 2 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
5. Place 1 cheese-topped mushroom on the bottom half of a roll. Top with 2 tomato halves, 1 onion ring, a few slices of avocado, and lettuce. Cover with the top. Repeat with remaining mushrooms, vegetables, and rolls.
Sally Pasley Vargas