Hoisin beef skewers on salad with peanut dipping sauce
Serves 4 with leftovers
|1/2||cup smooth peanut butter|
|1||tablespoon toasted sesame oil|
|1||teaspoon sriracha or other hot sauce|
|1 1/2||tablespoons brown sugar|
|2||tablespoons soy sauce|
|1||clove garlic, chopped|
|1||piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, finely chopped|
|Juice of 1 lime|
|Salt, to taste|
1. In a bowl, combine the peanut butter, water, sesame oil, mayonnaise, and sriracha or hot sauce. Stir until smooth.
2. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lime, and salt. Stir well. Set aside 1/2 cup of the sauce for the sesame noodles.
|1/3||cup seasoned rice wine vinegar|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|Grated rind and juice of 2 limes|
|2/3||cup vegetable oil|
1. In a bowl, whisk the vinegar, salt, pepper, lime rind and juice, and vegetable oil.
2. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Reserve 1/4 cup for the sesame noodles.
STEAK AND SALAD
|3||pounds skirt steak|
|1/4||cup soy sauce|
|Black pepper, to taste|
|1||jar (9 ounces) hoisin sauce, divided in half in separate bowls|
|1||package romaine lettuce hearts, chopped|
|1/2||seedless English cucumber, chopped|
|1/2||bunch scallions, chopped|
|2||tablespoons chopped fresh mint|
|2||tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro|
1. Cut the steak across the grain into 1-inch-thick strips. In a bowl toss the steak with the soy sauce and pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Soak 12 large (12-inch) bamboo skewers in water for 1 hour.
3. Turn on the broiler.
4. Thread the steak onto the skewers and brush with 1/2 cup of hoisin sauce. Broil for 5 minutes. Turn and broil 4 minutes more until meat is medium rare. Meanwhile, wash the brush. With the clean brush, brush the unused hoisin sauce on the cooked meat. Set aside 6 skewers of meat for the sesame noodles. Cover the remaining meat with foil.
5. In a bowl, combine lettuce, cucumber, scallions, mint, and cilantro. Toss with vinaigrette. Serve the skewers on a bed of salad with peanut sauce for dipping.