Serves 4 with leftovers
If you grill the vegetables in batches, allow 40 to 60 minutes. When the coals cool, grill thick slices of rustic bread, such as ciabatta, to toast lightly. Za’atar is a Middle Eastern blend of dried herbs.
|1||pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|2||medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds|
|2||red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, quartered and seeded|
|1||large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (rings intact)|
|3||portobello mushroom caps|
|1||medium zucchini, halved lengthwise|
|1||pound large cherry tomatoes, halved|
|3/4||cup good-quality olive oil|
|1/3||cup pitted kalamata olives, halved|
|5||ounces feta cheese, diced (about 1 cup)|
|3||tablespoons chopped fresh mint|
1. Light a charcoal grill or turn a gas grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a saucepan, combine the potatoes and a large pinch of salt with water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Cut the potatoes in half.
3. On a large rimmed sheet, lay the potatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, and tomatoes. Brush all the vegetables with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Grill the tomatoes for 3 to 5 minutes, the zucchini for 5 to 8 minutes, the eggplant for 5 to 8 minutes, the mushrooms for 10 minutes, the potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes, the bell peppers for 10 to 15 minutes, and the onion for 15 minutes. All the vegetables should be lightly charred and tender.
5. Cut the bell peppers and mushrooms into strips. Separate the onion rings. Cut the zucchini thickly into half-moons. Transfer 4 cups of the vegetables to a bowl and refrigerate for the pizza.
6. On a serving platter, arrange the potatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with olive oil, olives, feta, mint, and za’atar.