|(Sally Pasley Vargas for The Boston Globe)|
Grilled German sausages and vegetable packets
Serves 4 Stacking vegetables inside a packet is a handy way to make more use of your grill rack. Season the layers with salt, pepper, oregano, and a tangy lemon-mustard dressing.
|1/4||cup lemon juice|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||teaspoons Dijon mustard|
|1/2||cup olive oil|
|Olive oil (for sprinkling)|
|4||yellow potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick|
|2||red onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick, rounds separated into rings|
|4||small patty pan squash, quartered|
|2||ears fresh corn, cut in half|
|4||tablespoons chopped fresh oregano|
|8||bratwurst, knockwurst, or other cooked sausages|
|Extra Dijon mustard (for serving)|
1. In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and mustard. Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
2. For each packet, you need one 22-inch piece of heavy duty foil. Rub an 8-inch circle in the center with olive oil. Layer potatoes, onions, a spoonful of dressing, salt, pepper, oregano, squash, and 1/2 piece of corn on each. Add more dressing, salt, pepper, and oregano.
3. Bring the long sides of foil together and crimp them, leaving space for steam to escape. Crimp the short sides tightly.
4. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium-high heat. Add the packets, cover the grill, and cook 6 minutes. Place the sausages on the grill (leave the packets in place) and continue to cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
5. Set sausages on 4 plates. With oven mitts, open the packets to let steam to escape. With a large spatula, slide the vegetables onto the plates. Serve with mustard.