To accompany the flavorful rice, Iraqi native Suhad Murad bakes chicken pieces marinated in yogurt and ketchup.
|1/3||cup Greek yogurt|
1. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, ketchup, and pepper. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
2. Set the oven at 350 degrees.
3. Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Roast for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
|2||cups basmati rice|
|8||tablespoons canola oil|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||tablespoon curry powder|
|2 1/2||teaspoons kosher salt|
|1 1/2||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|1||teaspoon ground turmeric|
|1||teaspoon ground cardamom|
|1/2||cup slivered almonds|
|1||cup peas, rinsed with cold water|
|2||cups angel hair or vermicelli pasta, broken into 1 to 1 1/2-inch lengths|
1. Rinse the rice in a strainer under cold water, then let soak in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes.
2. In a large flameproof casserole over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes or until it softens. Stir in the curry powder, salt, cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, and pepper.
3. Add 4 cups of the water and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and let the water return to boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 12 minutes or until rice is cooked.
4. In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the almonds and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the almonds to a plate. Add the raisins to the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to the plate with the almonds. Add the peas and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer them to the plate with the almond mixture.
5. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the pasta pieces and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden. Add the remaining 1 cup water (watch for sizzling) and simmer for 3 minutes or until the pasta is cooked and most of the water is absorbed.
6. Return almond mixture to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
7. Spoon the rice onto a platter and cover with the almond mixture and chicken. Adapted from Suhad Murad