Ham and corn chowder
|1||tablespoon canola oil|
|3||stalks celery, chopped|
|4||leeks, thinly sliced|
|4||cups chicken stock|
|2||large red potatoes, chopped|
|4||ears corn, cooked|
|3||slices cooked ham, diced|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1/4||cup chopped fresh parsley|
1. In a large pot over medium high heat, heat the oil. When it is hot, add the butter. Cook the celery and leeks, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
2. Lower the heat to medium. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes or until flour begins to brown. Still stirring, slowly pour in the milk. Bring liquid to a boil, stirring constantly.
3. Add the stock and potatoes. Bring liquid to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked.
4. Remove the corn kernels from the cob. Stir corn, ham, salt, and pepper into the soup. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until ham and corn are heated through.
5. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper, if you like. Stir in the parsley. Ladle into bowls.